Open Mind, Open Spirit, Open Heart

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Heart of Tucson Art Open Studio Tour-Saturday October 29, Sunday October 30, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.

While traveling this summer, I took an online course called Playing through SketchbookSkool.com that was suggested to me by my friend Quinta. Sketching was outside my comfort zone but what a perfect match for vacation time. I tried new techniques and materials. I made journal notes. I drew quick studies and things that surprised me.Then I discovered Paint Yourself Calm by Jean Haines. I tried new colors and papers and mark making techniques. What I found was that this "playing" was as much fun as planning and completing a painting for framing. In fact, the playing was often the "tummy jump" that inspired me and made "the work" more fun. Painting is never really work but I've often thought that I needed a huge block of time to paint and that's just not always true. Sometimes it's the process not the product that is important. Sometimes sketching and trying new colors and techniques is like stretching for exercising. What a wonderful warm-up and invitation for creativity to blossom and grow.Why do I paint? Because it's good for my heart and soul.


                          

     



           
                                    

                  
                      
       
                      
   



 

No comments:

Were I called on to define very briefly the term art, I should call it "the reproduction of what the senses perceive in nature through the veil of the soul." Edgar Allen Poe